Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sketchbook: Werewolf


Considering that I was drawing werewolves before I was drawing superheroes, I don't draw them very much.

But they remain very close to my heart.

I remember my first exposure to them... My father rented the first "Teen Wolf" when it came out in 1986 or '87. I became fascinated with it, along with the cheezy cartoon adaptation.

I would spend hours freeze-framing the transformation sequence and drawing it. I would have been about seven-years-old.

Then came the USA Network series "Werewolf", which both I found both scary and awesome!

Finally there was a chopped-up and edited made-for-cable version of "The Howling II" that I found on TV one weekend. In retrospect, the movie is awful, but I was a werewolf freak, so I was blinded. I watched it recently for nostalgic purposes. I still love it. I probably always will to a certain extent.

Even now, one of my favorite comics is Robert Kirkman's "The Astounding Wolf-Man", which will, sadly, come to an end with issue # 25 in 2010.

Did I mention I was obsessed with vampires, too?

I'll have to do a vampire sketch next...

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised you haven't created a"heroic were-wolf" character of your own yet.

    ReplyDelete